Promoting Demand-Driven Skills in E-waste Management and Recycling in Kenya
The proliferation of electronic devices in Kenya and globally has led to a growing concern: the improper disposal of electronic waste, or e-waste.
As technology evolves at an unprecedented pace, older devices become obsolete, and their disposal often poses significant environmental and health risks.
In Kenya alone, an alarming 51.3 metric tons of e-waste are generated each year, with only 1% being recycled formally. The remaining 99% finds its way into dumpsites and waterways, causing widespread soil, water, and air pollution.
E-Waste Management: To establish effective, safe, and sustainable e-waste management practices within Kenya.
Skills Development: To develop and implement an innovative National Industrial Training Authority-approved curriculum in e-waste management and processing at five vocational training institutions in Kenya.
Youth Employment: To train and empower 400 young Kenyans, providing them with the necessary skills and knowledge to pursue meaningful careers in the e-waste processing sector.
Environmental Impact: To address environmental and health concerns associated with improper e-waste disposal and pollution.
Economic Opportunities: To create green jobs for local youth, thereby stimulating the local economy.
National Industrial Training Authority approved curriculum in e-waste management and processing at five training institutions in Kenya
400 graduates from the training program